Re: [xmca] is Leontiev (1983) available in English?

From: Phil Chappell <philchappell who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Sun Aug 03 2008 - 01:28:38 PDT

Hi Dot,

Thanks so much for pointing to these issues in JREEP. My university
finally got a subscription and I'm able to access the articles you
mention. Certainly a Collected Works of A.N. Leontiev would be a
valuable addition to our collective resources. The "home lecture" on
Will prepared by ANL especially for his grandson contains some
interesting and apparently final thoughts in a welcome accessible
style. I've pasted the abstract below

Thanks again and regards,

Phil

Published based on a tape recording, the text represents a 1978 “home
lec-
ture” personally prepared for and read to the grandson of A.N. Leontiev
[Dmitry], at his request when he was a first-year student at the
School of
Psychology of Moscow State University. The lecture was recorded on a
tape
recorder that had recently been given to A.N. Leontiev on the occasion
of his
seventieth birthday. In preparing the transcript for publication only
stylistic
corrections were made; repetition and grammatical and syntactical
dispari-
ties were eliminated, along with clarifying questions and their
answers when
they added nothing to the main substance of the lecture.
last, original
scholarly texts of A.N. Leontiev and it merits publication. It is
significant in
that A.N. Leontiev did not specifically devote a single published
work, manu-
script, or public lecture to the problem of will. Except for lecture
notes and the
stenographic records of his courses in general psychology, the
publication of
which would be possible only after extensive work, this lecture is the
only
source of clarification of his views on this issue. The content of
this lecture
probably does not require a special commentary, as it was designed for
an
audience with minimal understanding of psychology, and is
distinguished by
its exceptionally accessible explanations.