Re: Another way Re: [xmca] Fwd: we need more terms

From: Steve Gabosch <stevegabosch who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 17:08:21 PDT

keywords and phrases: words, word phrases, concept passages, meaning
key idea: word phrases and concept passages are also key units of
meaning that are used in glossaries

****
I like the what you are doing here a lot, Tony. Bill Barowy was
suggesting and looking for ways to create a group-created glossary
like this a few years back, during that 2003 xmca course, and he has
not been the only one over the years. But this is a hard thing to
organize, technically and otherwise. It looks like you may be hitting
upon ways to make this really happen. Great!

Picking up on your point about longer tags ... as we know, meanings
exist not just in words, but also more complex units that cannot be
reduced to individual word meaning, such as word phrases and concept
passages, analogous perhaps to an organism such as a mammal existing
not just as cells, but also organs and systems (such as circulation).
"Constellation of social relations" (Marx) is an example of a word
phrase that does not reduce to its parts. An example of a concept
passage, paraphrasing Vygotsky, (and reinforcing an important theme in
Ana's paper): "Tools mediate objects but signs mediate selves and
other people."

Often, in a good glossary, such common higher-order containers of
meaning are addressed by referring to such phrases and passages in the
individual word explanations, but this is not necessarily done
systematically or thoroughly. I think CHAT writing in general is
highly conscious of making these kinds of references and connections,
so that part is no worry.

My suggestion is that perhaps in addition to cataloging relevant words
and terms, we might also feel free to list common word phrases and
concept passages that could be part of a CHAT glossary, meanwhile
giving thought to how incorporating these phrases and passages into a
glossary might be approached methodically ...

Just thinking out loud.

- Steve