RE: [xmca] Psychology and formalization

From: David H Kirshner <dkirsh who-is-at lsu.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 22 2008 - 13:59:28 PDT

> The question is however that at times formalization seems not only a useful heuristic strategy, but also a form of coding of theoretical sentences and propositions that stands in and of itself as an ideal, as a goal related to the kinds of explanations (e.g., deductive) that are desirable.

Undoubtedly there's a progression involved from logical systematization to formal exposition. Interestingly, it took mathematics, itself, thousands of years to make this jump, with algebra progressing from a Rhetorical phase (in which results were stated in convoluted natural language) to a Syncopated phase in which some symbolic elements were thrown into natural language constructions, to a fully Formal phase, established only in the 16th or 17th century.

David