Re: [xmca] New Book: Zones of Proletarian Development

From: Wayne Au <wau who-is-at exchange.fullerton.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 22 2008 - 11:34:05 PDT

Yes David, thankfully, I did avoid seeking a causal connection between Lenin
and Vygotsky!

I just wanted to let folks know that I am lurking on this board, but haven't
posted before due to some technical issues - hopefully Bruce and I have
worked out the problem.

At any rate I am greatly flattered (and also intimidated) by the discussion
here about my paper (special thanks to Shirley for saying such nice things
in her last post and to Steve for bringing it up earlier in the year), and
am happy to continue the discussion "in person" now that I can post to the
list.

Some of us have also got a panel at ISCAR on Marxism and Vygotsky, so
hopefully we can talk more then as well.

Wayne

[Side Note: At the time I also wanted to post regarding peer review - since
I am an editor for Rethinking Schools. Our board operates as a collective,
and no submission is "blind", but as many of us are present at meetings
offer comments and discuss every submission (including our own). So what
happens is we end up with a very critical collective review process - all of
us have been teachers and expect the articles to be useful and readable for
teachers - and I think we have one of the most rigorous review processes
I've ever seen. Yet, we are a very low status journal because we aren't so
much interested in academic research, but in writing that classroom teachers
feel like they can engage with. My publications in Rethinking Schools
certainly barely help me get tenure, and if I were at an R-1 institution,
they would just laugh at the prospect of taking Rethinking Schools
seriously.]

Wayne Au
Assistant Professor
Department of Secondary Education