Re: [xmca] searle on writing

From: Luiz Carlos Baptista <lucabaptista who-is-at fcsh.unl.pt>
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 11:39:29 PDT

Well, I wouldn't mind at all. Regarding Searle, I think he should be more
careful when talking about "primitive" and "civilized" societies, there
might be involuntary value judgments lurking here. And of course not all
writing is the same: there are different writing systems; for instance, it
can be argued that alphabetic writing has a combinatorial power similar to
language (and, for that matter, mathematics).

As regards memory and preservation, there is also the issue, raised by Jack
Goody, of writing "decontextualizing" utterances from concrete interactional
settings and "recontextualizing" them in the frame of the writtent text.

Goody has much more to say about it, as well as Lévi-Strauss in "The Savage
Mind" and many more authors such as McLuhan, Havelock, Ong, Olson, etc. (and
of course you and Sylvia Scribner).

There is a Portuguese neuroscientist, José Castro Caldas, whose team has
been working on the processing of written language in the brain. I will try
to find some of his papers and then, if you guys agree, I can send them to
the list.

Best,
Luiz

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:42:30 -0700, Mike Cole wrote