RE: [xmca] Publish and/or Perish: ISI practices

From: Peter Smagorinsky <smago who-is-at uga.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 03:24:50 PDT

A few things in response to this email and others:

First, I recognize that impact rankings are insufficient in many ways, much
like the US News and World Report university rankings, which also are gamed
by institutions (e.g., waiving application fees to increase applications
solely for the purpose of rejecting more applicants make the school appear
more competitive). Believe me, I know that the system is flawed, as are most
systems that make much of a handful of indicators.

At the same time, the journals I think highly of and read do tend to get
high impact scores, so the impact rankings are not insignificant. Like an
SAT score on an application, it doesn't mean everything, but it also doesn't
mean nothing.

As to how I use an impact score on a tenure/promotion review: I tend to
review cases in which many people with decision-making power are not
entirely familiar with the candidate's field. My own field is English
Education, and so I review a lot of English Ed faculty who tend to be in one
of two types of departments, or activity settings if you will: An English
department, where the person occupies the 3rd of 3 status tiers (English
literature rules, Composition and Rhetoric is a minor field, and English Ed
is the dog who gets kicked at the end of a bad day--the closer a faculty
member is to the rank-and-file proletariat, the lower the status of the
position). In a College of Education, most English Ed faculty are in a
Curriculum and Instruction department, which takes the "Noah's Ark" approach
of housing two of every kind: two Social Studies Ed (one secondary, one
elementary), two English Ed, and so on. The people in Mathematics Ed might
not know the relative status of the journals and English Ed faculty member
might know, so I profile each journal. Here are some samples. Not all
include an impact factor, because not all journals are on the list. The idea
is to include impact factor as part of the review of each journal. Because I
write a lot of reviews of t/p cases (about 40 thus far), I maintain a
journal databank so that I don’t have to reinvent the wheel with each
evaluation I write, which has numbered as many as 9 in one year.

OK, here are some journals I've profiled that include impact rankings. I'll
throw in one for which I don't have an impact ranking just for purposes of
contrast:

The American Journal of Education is a high-stature journal edited at the
University of Chicago and published by the University of Chicago Press.
Throughout its history—and it has been published consecutively since 1891—it
has been a premier journal, often with a 10% acceptance rate or less. I am
perhaps biased in my high regard for AJE, having earned my M.A.T. and Ph.D.
at the University of Chicago, having served on the journal’s editorial
board, and having published two articles and a book review in it myself. But
I believe that it ranks among the best general-interest education journals,
along with Teachers College Record, Harvard Educational Review, American
Educational Research Journal, and a select handful of other journals.
Average rank in impact factor among all educational research journals,
1999-2005: 53rd; Highest rank: #18 (see
http://www.sciedu.ncue.edu.tw/board_docs/SSCI2005-1999.doc)

Anthropology and Education Quarterly is the journal of the Council on
Anthropology and Education, a professional association of anthropologists
and educational researchers affiliated with the American Anthropological
Association. It is a peer-reviewed, quarterly journal with a distinguished
reputation. According to the journal website, in 2003 the editors accepted
11% of manuscripts submitted for review (including both initial submissions
and revised and resubmitted papers), making it among the field’s most highly
selective journals. Average rank in impact factor among all educational
research journals, 1999-2005: 61.67th; Highest rank: #37 (see
http://www.sciedu.ncue.edu.tw/board_docs/SSCI2005-1999.doc)

College Composition and Communication is a refereed journal published by the
National Council of Teachers of English with an acceptance rate between
10%-25%. I haven’t read this journal is quite a few years, but it is the
journal for scholars concerned with writing instruction and assessment at
the university level. The Conference on College Composition and
Communication, which sponsors the journal, holds the field’s primary annual
meeting for first-year composition faculty and others interested in
composition theory and its politics.

Critical Inquiry in Language Studies: An International Journal is the
peer-reviewed, quarterly official journal of the International Society for
Language Studies. It identifies its contributions as multidisciplinary and
international, and accepts about 20% of submitted articles. According to its
website, “CILS seeks manuscripts that present original research on issues of
language, power, and community within educational, political, and
sociocultural contexts with broader reference to international and/or
historical perspective. Equally welcome are manuscripts that address the
development of emergent research paradigms and methodology related to
language studies. Though CILS seeks to present a balance of research from
contributing disciplines, interdisciplinary foci are encouraged.” The
journal boasts an impressive editorial board, including Michael Apple,
Dennis Baron, Charles Bazerman, Sari Knopp Biklen, Carole Edelsky, James
Gee, James Lantolf, Cynthia Lewis, Allan Luke, Donaldo Macedo, Alastair
Pennycook, Guadalupe Valdés, and other luminaries. Although I am not
familiar with the journal, its profile suggests that it is a journal of some
stature, and that a publication listing with CILS is an asset to one’s
curriculum vita.

Curriculum Inquiry is a highly regarded “niche” journal (i.e., one that
features a particular research topic) published by Blackwood, a respectable
publisher of educational materials. I am not familiar with this journal
other than by reputation, but found some impressive encomium by
distinguished researchers at the journal’s website:
"One of the top general education journals. It is the finest publication in
the English speaking world that focuses on curriculum planning, teaching and
evaluation."
Elliot Eisner, Stanford University, USA
"One of the most lively and stimulating journals. Its dedication to
exploring issues and pursuing debates, across a wide range of issues, is
second to none. "
Martyn Hammersley, Open University, UK
"One of the few education journals to open up contemporary theoretical
perspective on general education."
Maxine Greene, Columbia University, USA
Given the stature of these commentators, it would be hard to regard
Curriculum Inquiry as anything but a powerhouse journal in the area of
curriculum studies. Average rank in impact factor among all educational
research journals, 1999-2005: 79.16th; Highest rank: #66 (see
http://www.sciedu.ncue.edu.tw/board_docs/SSCI2005-1999.doc)

Peter Smagorinsky
The University of Georgia
125 Aderhold Hall