[xmca] Cultural-Historical SIG Call for Proposals, AERA 2009 Annual Meeting

From: O'Connor, Kevin <kevin.oconnor who-is-at rochester.edu>
Date: Fri Jun 20 2008 - 09:20:31 PDT

Dear Cultural-Historical SIG Members,

We are writing as the Cultural-Historical Research SIG Program Chairs to
urge/remind/encourage you to participate in creating our SIG's program for
the 2009 AERA Annual Meeting, to be held in San Diego, April 13-17. Proposal
submission is now open and will close on August 1. (The deadline for
Professional Development and Training Courses is September 5.)

The theme for the 2009 Meeting is ³Disciplined Inquiry: Education Research
in the Circle of Knowledge² (you can read it in its entirety at
http://www.aera.net/meetings/Default.aspx?menu_id=386&id=5270 ).

What is most relevant and inviting to our SIG, it seems to us, is the
following excerpt:

> ³More than multi-disciplinary endeavors in many other fields, education
> research has been inclusive in its application of disciplinary perspectives,
> and in its respect for quantitative and qualitative methods. The result has
> been a uniquely rich capacity for education research to draw on a broad range
> of humanistic and scientific disciplines, and to contribute widely to the
> improvement of education policy and practice. The 2009 annual meeting will be
> an opportunity for renewed discussion and expansion of the role of education
> research as a hub of interdisciplinary scholarship. Special attention will be
> paid to proposals for papers and sessions that demonstrate the value of
> interdisciplinary research, the significance of multiple methodological
> perspectives, and interactions between education and its sister disciplines in
> the sciences and humanities.²

In addition to proposals for presentations in traditional formats, we are
especially interested in receiving proposals for sessions using the
alternative formats that are allowable according to AERA: demonstrations,
interactive symposia, performances, workshops and off-site visits. In
addition, you can input into the SIG Annual Meeting program by sending us
ideas and themes for the SIG Business Meeting and by volunteering to be a
proposal reviewer.

We strongly encourage your submissions. Please note that AERA bases the
number and type of session allocated to each SIG in part on the total number
of proposals received by the SIG - so please submit your proposals to our
SIG! We also remind you that the quality of the program depends largely on
the proposal review process, and so we encourage those of you who have
reviewed proposals in the past to do so again this year; we also welcome new
reviewers, including graduate students and new SIG members.

To submit proposals and to volunteer to review proposals, please log in to
the 2009 AERA Annual Meeting online submission system at
http://www.aera.net. This is also the site for volunteering as a discussant
or session chair.

We hope to hear from you!

Have a great summer,