Re: [xmca] permission?

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jun 13 2008 - 12:50:39 PDT

It was certainly Sokolova with whom I spoke at the Ilynkov Readings session
that Sasha held via internet and that Martin participated in from Bogota.

What stands out in my memory of the conversation was that Sokolova was taken
totally by surprise when I explained that the acronym of CHAT represents
the idea of the complementarity of Vygotsky and Leontiev's positions.
Others, of course, disagree with this idea pretty strongly, pointing to
various places where
their ideas, practices, etc, diverged in presumably fatal ways.

As I understand it, Sokolova believes in such complementarity and was
b-rating me for ignoring Leontiev.
While I readily admit to finding much of Leontiev very difficult to read in
either Russian or English, he is
there in my work and in my defence of the idea of CHAT (never mind the slip
between cup and lip).
Perhaps Sasha can get her to join xmca and we can find out directly. But her
statements,
and those of others, indicate a broad gap between scholars in Moscow and the
US about what the others
are thinking and doing.

mike