Re: [xmca] review of Italian translation of Thinking and Speech: In defence of van der Veer and Mecacci

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 17:31:34 PDT

David-- Since the first sections of Mind in Society are taken from a
combination of tool and symbol, and hist of higher psych functions, and
since we can now search T&S electronically thanks to Rene putting it on his
website, you should be able to track down the source of the statement on
method. I am pretty sure it is from history of higher psych functions.

Re Francine's comments. I think there is a lot of value in seeking out ways
to nail down what LSV or any other scholar "really
wrote/said." But I also think that whether or not there are disagreements
(did Leontiev really invent activity theory, did LSV
really change his mind at the end of his life as Francine characterizes
matters?) we are better off trying to figure out what are the
issues that really matter to us and to formulate our ideas as clearly as
possible and to seek ways to put them (and ourselves)
to critical tests that put our cherished ideas in jeapordy. Then, if........
they survive, maybe they are worth something. And, if they
survive, its almost certain someone has thought of them before. Maybe the
people to whom we attrributed them, or maybe their sworn enemies.
mike