Re: [xmca] University & Conformity

From: Michalis Kontopodis <michalis.kontopodis who-is-at staff.hu-berlin.de>
Date: Sun May 25 2008 - 02:52:14 PDT

Dear Mike, thank you very much for your thorough investigation. Your
account turned alive memories from my student years, which I have
forgotten--given the fact that I have the luxury to temporally teach
at a very small department--which is rather 'elite' and not
representative of the 'mass' or 'middle class' university.

Taking the given historicity of the observed phenomena under
consideration, but also their dynamical features (there are always new
policies, protests, reforms etc.) I ask myself how critical academics
may intervene or act in regard to teaching, learning, raising research
funds, producing publications etc.

I would suggest that the university should be linked to the parts of
the society which are the most innovative or critical at a given
historical moment: this may be feminists, no-border movements,
critical students, anti-war protests, ecologists, migrants, artists
etc. Pioneer research and pioneer teaching should be linked to pioneer
social practices--not of course reproducing dogmas or just leading
social movements, but much more being 'in a dialogue with the future',
posing open questions and looking for ways to answer them (here
Vygotsky could be very relevant).

This is however a difficult endeavor: it embodies the tension between
being reflective and being active or practice-oriented; it implies the
tension between being subjective and being collective;
it also requires participation in 'non-academic' activities,
translation of theory in the languages of the radical social
subjectivities, sometimes even risking one's position in the
university (even just because of lower productivity rates).

This discussion has already taken place in a lot of contexts (e.g.
cultural-historical research, critical psychology, performance
studies, political anthropology). Nor have I however solved the
problem for myself, neither do I know academics or academic
collectives that have managed to deal with these issues, in a way that
transgresses the geographical limits of particular projects or in a
way which establishes some kind of sustainability (usually when a
critical professor dies, no project or academic school survives, think
of the German Critical Psychology at the Freie Universität Berlin).

PS: Eric, even if I did not answer directly, I hope you can find an
answer above or at least understand more the background of my previous
commends. Thank you!

Michalis Kontopodis

research associate
humboldt university berlin