Re: [xmca] University & Conformity

From: E. Knutsson <eikn6681 who-is-at student.su.se>
Date: Sat May 24 2008 - 04:15:26 PDT

Dear Michalis,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You refer to the neo-liberal educational
reforms in Europe, in which the 'dysfunctionality' of the university is the
main argument used by neo-liberal politicians in order to "convince the public
opinion that competition between universities and evaluation, free market of
knowledge, commercialization of education etc. are the only existing
possibilities towards broader national development, progress, etc."

You seem to prefer or emphasize a (Marxist?) class perspective, but I doubt
that Marxist(oid) explanatory models can illuminate the problem of
(subcultural) conformism.

Historical experience seems to suggest that universities could gain from
keeping more distance to the political field. The University of Naples was
never very distinguished; the University of the Roman Couria was worst of all,
because it was too close to the pope. The “provincial” Bologna epitomized the
extreme vitality of twelfth- and early-thirteenth-century European society – a
rapid rate of demographic and economic growth coupled with considerable
political dislocation and disorganization.

As summarized by Le Goff, "Academics . . . sought to define themselves as an
intellectual aristocracy, endowed with . . . [a] specific morality and code of
values". For this intellectual "nobility", nothing was more important than
autonomy.

Eric.