[xmca] Innovation and social learning

From: Geoff <geoffrey.binder who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 15 2008 - 16:10:00 PDT

The draft paper that I'm writing has now been posted to the xmca
website http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Paper/index.html

The first two sections are contextual, framing the theoretical model.
Now, the paper's been written for a journal read by practitioners as
well as academics, so, the rendering of the theory is not elaborate.
Nevertheless I hope that xmcaers might find it stimulating. The theory
is an attempt to resolve the agency/structure problem.

I'm using Vygotsky ZPD to show how Bordieu's habitus is embodied.
Wittgenstein's analysis of rules and doubt are used to free-up
habitus's apparent determinism. In doing this the model addresses the
issue of agency, buy framing it as a relational phenomenon bounded by
habitus. (One of the possibly contentious outcomes of the model is
that agency does not need deliberation.)

The paper argues that innovation is a seeking-to-extend one's habitus,
via agentive acts. Resistance to innovation is a function of
countervailing agency protective of oppositional habitus. How one
responds to a potential innovation is a function of one's habitus,
unless it "evolves" via a ZPD.

I'd very much welcome your thoughts, so that I can push my thinking
further along this thorny path!

Please forgive the drafty nature of the writing, since posting to the
site it has been polished, so if the grammar bugs you let me know and
I'll email you the latest version. The arguments, however, remain the
same.

Cheers, Geoff