Re: [xmca] human learning theory text for grads in education/instructional technology - suggestions?

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 22:43:04 PDT

That is a fascinating question, Michael.
And a very hard one to answer.
*How people Learn" sort of ventured toward the borders of the standard
classoom
and was not obsessed with "technology" (By which they meant the historically
recent
technologies associated with comupters, digital media the internet). I have
only read some
chapters from preprints in the "learning sciences" handbook.

The question that comes to mind in thinking about what to have students read
is : to what extent does the discussion on XMCA transgress the borders of
the learning science, when, and why? Reciprocal teaching. And? Design
experimentation? The centrality of cultural mediation and cultural
construction of teaching/learning?

Some. But might a carefully selected set of articles perhaps be most
effective?

This past week in a grad course involving ucla and ucberkeley schools of ed,
we discussed the article, available at lchc, or
"The sound of the violin." This, to me, is a very important article about
learning and technology. But does it count? Would it help?

mike
(PS, google "sound of the violin" or Boesch at lchc and it should come
round)

A whole book full of such articles to provide a super intro to the learning
science would be a really interesting undertaking.