RE: [xmca] National Mathematics Advisory Panel

From: Karen Wieckert <wieckertk who-is-at mail.belmont.edu>
Date: Tue Apr 01 2008 - 10:57:28 PDT

Peter,

I "googled" you and found that you are involved in a mathematics program in
Portland Maine called The Theoretical Learning approach to mathematics.
Let's take that program as an example.

Is this a program in all of Portland schools? Do you treat it as a
formative experiment? How do you evaluate the approach, and at what levels?
What is the population? Etc.

It is possible that you have all of the "data" to meet the report's
criteria. If you do, it might be worth the effort to "market" the work so
it would need to be considered along with the other work the Panel
considered.

If you do not, it might be worth the effort to ask why it cannot meet the
criteria. For example, the criteria could intentionally be constructed so as
to EXCLUDE your work. How and why does it do that? If each program asked
this question, I wonder what would be found lacking -- the programs or the
criteria?

KEW