Re: [xmca] method of double stimulation

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 06 2008 - 08:17:04 PST

Peter/Michael/Eric-

I think we have a good idea of what was involved in the method of dual
stimulation if we add peter and michael's note, and eventually get, at the
end of some continuum, to Pedro's
definition.

As an experimental method, the stimuli were actually supposed, in most
cases, to be neutral: Leontiev's method of mediated memory, the dax's and
veg's of the Sakharov concept formation
studies. But once they begin to accumulate a history of having mediated
human actions/interactions they have also begun to accumulate the kind of
ideality/intentionality that Peter is
talking about. Then when a presumably knowledgeable human seeks directly to
help they are sure not neutral (and may be negative!, whatever the
intentions of the "helping" party.

The Change Lab created by Yrjo and his colleagues is described, ABSTRACTLY,
as a neutral stimulus. But it is loaded with what they hope are affordances
for the actors to figure out their
own circumstances and exert agency in rearranging them, often by creating
"intermediate tools" (e.g. previously neutral stimuli that are not longer
so).

my take on it
mike
ps- Eric: Everyone is real busy. At present my schedule during the week is
pretty heavy so I am trying to keep up on weekends. I particularly hope to
see continued discussion of
Martin's paper. The entire last half really deserves a lot of thought.