Re: "Personality" vs "Identity" (was: [xmca] Word meanings making up "Personality")

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Mon Feb 25 2008 - 02:35:57 PST

Foo Keong,
I've been reading up on your questions on
http://www.emis.de/proceedings/PME29/PME29Plenaries/PME29SfardPrusakPlenary.pdf
and your questions make a lot of sense to me now. Thank you for that.
Actually, I reckon that a lot of people on this list would be interested in
this paper, especially as it concerns cultural differences in learning
styles between Russian immigrants and "Westerners" (Israelis in this case),
and the paper quotes a lot of names well-known on this list.

Andy

At 01:22 AM 25/02/2008 +0800, you wrote:
>hi everybody,
>
>i'm a PhD student studying the development of mathematical "identity"
>of a few volunteers using Anna Sfard's framework of identity as a
>narrative that is RES (Reifying, Edorsable and Significant). Learning
>here is defined as bridging the gap between /actual identity/ and
>/designated identity/.
>
>While we're on the topic, and since i have my head still full of
>un-sorted-out concepts, i'd like to ask:
> how is "personality" different from "identity"?
>
>Do you consider Erik Erikson's theory of identity "essentialist"? How
>so? Doesn't Erikson's theory also allow for change and development in
>people? i.e. it is not carved and
>set in stone throughout a person's life, or is it?
>
>Enlightenment from experts will be very much appreciated.
>
>Foo Keong, PhD student
>National Institute of Education, Singapore
>

>References

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435,
mobile 0409 358 651