RE: [xmca] my new questions

From: Carrie Lobman <lobman who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat Feb 16 2008 - 05:16:30 PST

Hi David,

I found your response very thought-provoking. I
am still thinking, but I thought I would let you
in on what I have thought of so far. I completely
agree that as children develop and they become
more able to take on roles that their play
becomes more sophisticated. Its one of the most
valuable developmental tools we humans have. I
think I am saying that to the extent that we lose
the ability to keep socially (because that's how
children create roles, through what I would call
creative imitation) creating roles that
development slows. Similarly, I agree that being
able to play games where the rules are overt and
the imaginary situation is implicit is
developmental, but that losing the ability to be
rule creators has a negative impact on development.

I did have a question though. How are you using
the words repetition and rote? I am wondering if
these are what I see as creative imitation. The
ways in which people (in this case very young
children) creatively copy and imitate what they
see and hear around them. I see that as a strong
component of your examples of language learning.

Carrie