RE: [xmca] my new questions

From: Carrie Lobman <lobman who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2008 - 17:55:45 PST

Hi David,

I am not sure if what I am about to say responds to all of what you
said here (which is very interesting), but here are my current
thoughts. I see all of what we do (including role-plays) as
performances--meaning we as human beings are creating them. Some
role-plays are extremely useful to us as individuals and to us as a
species. For example, I wouldn't want to have to figure out or create
how to cross the street every time I left the house. It would be
dangerous and not very efficient. My role as an experienced street
crosser is not problematic to me at all. I think thats true of many
of the roles we play in life and much of early childhood involves
learning to play those roles. I agree that it is developmentally very
useful. However, that doesn't make them any less performances to me
even though they have become less creative. In thinking about it I
see it as having a similar relationship as between the fantasy play
of early childhood and games with rules. Both involve imaginary
situations, but the kinds of rules have changed. I think one of the
big developmental problems is that we start MOSTLY doing the
role-playing kind of performing and not the creative kind of
performing and we apply it to parts of our lives where it is
anti-developmental.

I don't think performances have to "acknowledge" their fictionality
(although its useful once we grow up to be aware of ourselves as
performers. Children do less role-playing because they haven't
learned the roles yet. Adults often need help to re-learn how to play
in this way. I think I don't understand your question about it being
tied to physical actions. Can you clarify?

Carrie