Re: [xmca] neoformation

From: David Kellogg <vaughndogblack who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2008 - 14:55:15 PST

Yes, XMCA is a zoped, though it can also be a confessional and a tribunal too. I think the main reason why XMCA is a zoped and the confessional and tribunal are not is that the latter have an EVALUATIVE rather than a DEVELOPMENTAL function. So the proper function of a confessional and a tribunal (and SOME forms of teaching) is ASSESSMENT rather than LEARNING. That's what I meant about having our backs to the future.

  Many of the on-line presentations (Mike's, Pentti Hakarainnen's, and of course the Seoul presentations) have to do with a text called "Problem of Age" in Volume Five of the Collected Works, eric. In it, LSV really does describe disappearing neoformations ("autonomous speech" and "negativism" are mentioned, and that's why Dr. Subbotsky talks about negativism in his remarks at the on-line seminar). And of course in Chapter Five and Six of Thinking and Speech he also talks about everyday concepts "blazing a trail" for scientific concepts.

  That's for the tribunal. Now for the confessional part! My statement that the "Goliath" was developmentally inert but the "Feast of Belshazzar" is somehow catalytic was simply wrong: I think they were BOTH catalytic, but only ontogenetically. Neither one was catalytic socioculturally; neither one really had a future with other painters. (I certainly don't want to paint bug-eyed Belshazzars with bunches of bananas on the ends of their arms.)

  An example of a socioculturally catalytic form of painting would be the small devotional miniatures which Elsheimer did. They were so small people wouldn't pay good prices for them, and Elsheimer died of starvation with his whole family. His art prefigured the slightly larger devotional works that made Poussin's fortune, and even today it survives in cameo art.

  (I even knew a guy in Paris who survived by frequenting auctions where they would calculate how much money you got per square inch for your last canvas and then start bidding with that price for your next one. He'd show up with a tiny canvas and bid the price up ridiculously high, and then come the next week with an ENORMOUS one!)

  David Kellogg
  Seoul National University of Education