Re: [xmca] neoformation

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Feb 02 2008 - 15:49:40 PST

Sorry to be so late in continuing this thread, or a small bit of it, David.
I have yet to check out the caravaggio, wanted to comment on the following:

 In LSV's theory of development ("Problem of Age", Vol. 5) he begins by
pointing out that ALL the different "phenotypical" theories seem to agree on
the basic "periodization" of childhood. Yet NONE of them agree on underlying
mechanism which moves the child from stage to stage.

The part in red is what concerns me.

I believe that this is an uncharacteristically a-historical notion of the
periodization of the lifespan and in so far as it is, it implies a
phylogenetic, genotypic, underlying mechanism at least to
causation of the periods. So starting from there, if one is going to accord
culture a role in development, it is minor and of some different kind that
the explanation for the sequence and content
of the periods.

I believe the cultural historical story is more complicated than that so
that the phenotypical identification of the periods in ontogeny depend upon
a mixture of phylogenetic, cultural historical factors operating
simultaneously, but at different rates and by somewhat different principles.

The easiest case to make is for a period called "adolescence" but in so far
as people believe in a period of early childhood generally referred to as
"the pre-school period" the historical contingency of the supposed period is
right there in the term pre-school.

Is this something worth pursuing in discussion further or tangential to the
discussion?
mike