Re: [xmca] Did the Butterfly Leave the Cocoon, and then what?

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Fri Feb 22 2008 - 06:54:08 PST

Mike,

Let me say first that you are very generous in your appraisal of my paper.
It's received more praise here than I anticipated, and I'm delighted.
Perhaps soon the other shoe will drop and people will identify problems, and
that will be fine. Reading it again I think I crammed a lot into a few
pages, and any suggestions for ways to improve the argument or clarity will
be welcome.

The biggest surprise for me when reading Crisis was discovering how Vygotsky
intended to resolve the dualism of materialist and idealist forms of
psychology. I expected he would try to transcend both, to bridge the gap, as
you say. But instead he declared the need to cut away idealism and discard
it. In retrospect it should not be such a surprise that he opted for a
materialist psychology, and certainly the proposal for a materialist study
of consciousness is sufficiently, well, revolutionary to make one pause
before criticizing his move.

It's clear that where the dialectical resolution takes place, for him, is
between theory and practice. Practice provides the test for theory, but it
also drives theory in the sense that theory takes on the practical concern
(emancipatory concern?) of enabling mastery of the mind.

I think there's room in a materialist psychology for both ideographic and
nomothetic aspects. Analysis, as Vygotsky describes it, is the study of
individual cases for their general relevance; it involves an abstraction
from their particularity. But the study of particulars for their general
significance would presumably operate within a single, materialist, ontology
and epistemology.

Martin