Re: [xmca] When Was 'Psychology of Art" Available in Russian?

From: bella kotik <bella.kotik who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 12:19:13 PST

Yes, David, the book was published really in 1965, but in 1925 he received
his Ph.D for the dissertation "Psychology of art" and most probably it was
deposited in the university and central ("Lenin's) library and thus was
available. ( At least it was this way later in 60th- 70th and probably
before)

On 2/20/08, David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Everybody:
>
> In Clark and Holquist's biography of Bakhtin (Bellknap Harvard, 1984) they
> claim, on p. 106, that Bakhtin's friend Yudina, a well-known concert pianist
> and classmate of Shostakovich, is encouraging everybody she knows to read
> Vygotsky's "Psychology of Art". But the time is during Bakhtin's Leningrad
> period, that is, 1925-1929. Is this possible? I thought "Psychology of Art"
> wasn't actually available in Russian until the 1960s.
>
> David Kellogg
> Seoul National University of Education

Sincerely yours Bella Kotik-Friedgut