Re: [xmca] my new questions

From: Elinami Swai <swaiev who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2008 - 13:02:23 PST

Dear all,
 I'm trying to make sense of two concepts (role and activity) in
understanding the formation of identity, specifically manhood and
womanhood. In much of the literature, identity is theorized within the
framework of roles and/or social/gender/cultural relations -- such as
a mother, father, husband and wife, and not within the idea of what
one does, such as mothering, fathering as (I think). My interest is to
separate the two concepts (role and activity) in analyzing and
explaining the formation of manhood and/womanhood within
cultural-historical activity theory. Any help and direction to a
literature will highly be appreciated.
Elinami

--
Dr. Elinami Swai