Re: [xmca] ego, self, etc.

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 12:45:08 PST

Andy,

I agree (I think), but Bourdieu indeed makes the claim that by objectifying
our techniques of objectification we can achieve an "absolute" viewpoint. He
seems to be arguing that a properly relexive science can produce knowledge
that is no longer "particular."

Are you suggesting that (contra Hegel) absolute knowledge is not possible?
And if so, how do you deal with Marx's tendency to envision an end to
history where false consciousness has been transcended?

Martin