[xmca] Vygotsky and performance? Eisenstein, Meyerhold?

From: Matt Ratto <matt.ratto who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 05:40:49 PST

Hi all,

I'm a new subscriber to the list but some of you may know me. I did my
PhD in Communication at UC San Diego and often visited LCHC and talked
with Mike (Hi Mike!). I also spent a few months in Helsinki at the
Center for Activity Theory and Developmental Research with Yrjo
Engestrom and the great crew there.

I'm currently in Umea, Sweden and had a conversation a few weeks ago
with Victor Kaptelinin about a book I'm currently working on. He
recommended that I post to the list some of my questions about the
links between Vygotsky and performance. I've noted a number of
similarities between the theories of emotion and activity in Vygotsky
and those in the performance theories of Meyerhold. (Basically, that
emotion is embedded in activity, rather that prior to it.) Has anyone
written on these connections, or connections between Vygotsky, Luria,
Leon'tev and contemporary theater or dance?

I hope you don't mind a newbie posting a question!

best,

Matt

--
Matt Ratto