Re: [xmca] online games as tools for sociability

From: Wagner Schmit <mcfion who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Feb 03 2008 - 04:56:39 PST

I study games too, but right now i am more focused on table-top roleplaying
games... And i was away from the list quite some time too =/

Two interesting facts... in the same week that i saw a new from Blizzad
saying that his online game world of warcraft reached 10 million subscribers
(http://www.blizzard.com/press/080122.shtml), i saw some news about how
things are going down and fast on second life (banks closing, number of
subscribers going down, etc)...

Well.. the game industry is getting bigger and bigger every day, now it is
already bigger tham hollywood... I hear some people saying that we are
entering some kind of "game society" era...

It is interesting how games makes such a fuss in some places, here in Brazil
our goverment just banned two games: Counter Strike and Everquest (the law
here is very very slow, and the process for this was opened on 2002, but
this opens the way for other games to be banned, and faster)... The
alegations are that CS helps training drug dealers and Everquest because it
"brings the player to total distortion and 'heavy' psychological conflicts
because the tasks that it receives in the game can be good or bad".

wagner