Re: [xmca] my new questions

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 17:12:58 PST

Heidi,

Running through
http://www.marxists.org/archive/leontev/works/1977/leon1977.htm (where the
quote from Leontyev is to be found) and looking at each usage of the word
"subject," it seems to me that Leontyev uses the word "subject" in the
sense typical of modern social sciences, i.e., a kind of modernised Kantian
sense, of an individual person. That being the case, the word "material" in
"material subject" is simply a flag - all persons are material. (like
people insert the word "human" where it is not required, also as a kind of
"flag.")

Perhaps I could use this space to say a few words about the issue of monism
and dualism as I see it.

During the long period during which Christianity dominated European life,
prior to the Renaissance, monism and dualism manifested itself in various
forms of the question as to whether God alone ruled the world or there was
a struggle between God and the Devil. All kinds of heretics (including Arab
and Jewish heretics) posed a kind of dualism which was understood by
everyone to be challenging the Church. Descartes' famous dualism of two
substances, matter and thought, was only the culmination of a 1,400 year
struggle against religious monism.

Nevertheless, Descartes' dualism then immediately became the problem rather
than the solution, and Spinoza famously copied everything about Descartes
except he tried to produce a monism, and in a supreme irony was labelled a
heretic (specifically, a Pantheist) by the very liberal Jewish community in
the Dutch Republic where he lived. In my opinion, Spinoza's solution to the
problem of dualism is like Schelling's solution: "the night in which all
cows are black." It goes nowhere.

 From there efforts, to reconcile thought and matter basically led to
either materialist dogmatism or subjective idealism, sceptical, Theist or
solipsistic. And it was that confrontation between two opposed dogmatisms
that Kant tried to adjudicate with his "critical philosophy." (Ilyenkov is
great on this.) But in fact his efforts only led to a multiplicity of
dualisms and contradictions, which tortured the minds of the students of
philosophy of his time, and ever since.

In my opinion, Hegel resolved the question to a great extent by
transforming the problem from ontology to one of logic - not two
substances, two faculties, or whatever, but a logical relation between
individual, particular and universal. Steve rightly objected to by
reintroduction of a notion of ontology here, but in my opinion, in the era
of natural science, it actually helps to remind ourselves of the
ontological origins of Hegel's idea.

At a public event marking the 200th Anniversary of Hegel's Phenomenology, a
good Hegelian friend of mine, Paul Ashton, responded to boringly repetitive
denunciations of the "Cartesian dualism" asking anyone who was not feeling
that dualism right now please see him afterwards because he would like to
be where they were. He got no offers. But science does not correspond to
appearances. We live the feeling of dualism, of an inner private life
separate from the public activity outside of us, but in trying to explain
this experience of dualism, we have to use one or another form of a
Hegelian triplicity, I think.

Andy

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435,
mobile 0409 358 651