Re: [xmca] REquest for evalu of software

From: DES <david_eddy_spicer who-is-at harvard.edu>
Date: Thu Jan 24 2008 - 14:12:02 PST

Thanks, Ellen, for this comprehensive view into your use of ATLAS. I've
used it in related ways and found the Network View features especially
helpful for visualizing relationships and allowing for a different sort
of playing around than is available with my pre-computer methods of
sorting and scattering across the floor and walls (although I still do
need to go back to that, too).

There are some really good online resources for comparing different
strengths/weaknesses of qual software. A good place to start is the
CAQDAS (computer-assisted qualitative data analysis) networking project
at Surrey headed by Ann Lewins.
http://caqdas.soc.surrey.ac.uk/

Over the years, they've done a series of comparisons, the most recent of
which can be had here:
http://caqdas.soc.surrey.ac.uk/ChoosingLewins&SilverV5July06.pdf

This led to the recent publication (2007) of a useful book that's a good
complement to the ATLAS.ti user's guide:
Ann Lewins & Christina Silver, Using Software in Qualitative Research :
A Step-by-Step Guide, Sage Publications, London

A tutorial site<Online QDA, at Huddersfield U. that's an offshoot of the
networking project is here:
http://onlineqda.hud.ac.uk/index.php
The site has links to several other very useful websites.

If you really want to go spelunking, take a look at the above site's
resources section.
http://onlineqda.hud.ac.uk/resources.php

David