RE: [xmca] LV Quote on the importance of meaningful work in learning and development

From: Worthen, Helena Harlow <hworthen who-is-at ad.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sat Jan 12 2008 - 09:13:32 PST

David, Bella --

The kind of education you're calling "labor education" is what in the US is called "vocational education" or "occupational/technical education" or simply "training." The debate about when this verges on child labor or serious tracking takes place in discussions of the Carl Perkins Act (VATEA) among other places. These are very important issues that affect the lives of a whole lot of people individually and the economy nationally.

However, "labor education," which is what I do, is about the political and social dimensions of work -- labor history, labor culture, labor law and employment law, communications, politics, and the kinds of learning that are required to enable workers to control to some degree their conditions of work.

Helena