Re: [xmca] Subject: Verb, Object

From: Steve Gabosch <sgabosch who-is-at comcast.net>
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 17:57:42 PST

On Jan 2, 2008, at 12:41 AM, Andy Blunden wrote:
> The view that I have come to is that we need to set out from the
> very beginning a tripartite ontology. There are three kinds of
> entity in the world: ideas (or psyche), artefacts (including the
> human body, as well as signs, tools, means of production, etc.,
> culture in other words) and activities.

Whoa. "Three kinds of entity" (entities) - and from the way you state
this, as an "ontology," **only** these three kinds of entities - in
the world? How about nature, here on earth and the rest of the
universe? (And a secondary question - how are ideas not "artefacts"?
But that is another issue). Do you really mean these words, Andy?
If you do, where is this tripartite ontology argued? I can grasp this
kind of three-part all-inclusive list as attempting to describe human
subjectivity, the object of discussion in your paper. This focus
might make the above statement, in a sense, a tripartite
"epistemology" - a statement about the nature of human knowledge in
its broadest sense, and the three kinds of essential components human
knowledge or more broadly consciousness is comprised of. But as a
"tripartite ontology," a statement about the nature of reality, human
**and** not human, and the three entities it is comprised of, I can't
see how this could work. Surely, the universe is comprised of more
than human ideas (psyche), artefacts (culture) and activities. Not
that I would try to convince you otherwise, if this ontology is indeed
your real belief. Is it?

Not attacking, just genuinely puzzled.
- Steve