Re: [xmca] Subject: Verb, Object

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Sun Dec 30 2007 - 16:34:20 PST

I think David and Peg's messages were out of sync., yes?

This all raises that most difficult of questions for a social psychology
that wants to deal with the tasks I am asking it to deal with, how do you
deal with the knock-on effect of an action, which is predictable from
on-high, but unknown to the actors themselves? We rely on the basic insight
that what goes on in the head first went on between people - whether in the
form given to it by Fichte, Hegel, Marx, CS Peirce or Vygotsky. What is
Hegel's Logic about? About the underlying "logic of events", how this or
that policy or statement or whatever ultimately leads to this or that
problem which was at first invisible. Life experience will tell you this,
but if you don't have life experience, it will happen according to the
logic of events anyways and you should learn. Basically, I think we can
only make sense of this if we get right away from the idea of the
"individual-as-subject" but remember that no subject exists other than in
and through individual human beings.

With the ANL example of the child and the father, I have always had trouble
with "examples" and methods which presuppose a leader or a father or a
facilitator, a person who knows what the experimental subject or student or
self-help group really needs to do, and organises things accordingly. Of
course, I understand that all you teachers and teacher-trainers, child
psychologists, etc., work and have a responsibility to work in precisely
that circumstance. But I do not think this is the paradigmatic
relationship. The father can only do his bit in "leading" the child into an
activity where its "best interests" will be served if the father can act as
a kind of transmitter of life experience, and kind of short-cut the process
for the child. So it is not the father's technique which is the paradigm,
but the bitter life experience which the child may or may not have as a
result of choosing to do this or that.

Andy

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435,
mobile 0409 358 651