[xmca] Really Correct Translations - subthread

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Dec 01 2007 - 18:09:33 PST

  Also since the problem of translation is a perpetual concern here, and as a person who constantly confronts the difficulties of translation in my everyday life, I'd like to offer Lawrence Ferlenghetti's comment made while defending his thesis (a translation of Baudelaire I believe) at the Sorbonne in the late 1940s. I've changed one word to fit the contemporary world (wives for partners).

  Translations are like partners,
  The faithful ones aren't beautiful
  and the beautiful ones aren't faithful.

  Of course one could claim that beauty and truth (correctness) are different but I personally am not so sure and am perhaps an increasingly irreconciliable relativist. I think one only begins to speak another language when one stops attempting to translate back into a language already spoken. With so many polyglots on xmca I'm sure others could provide perspectives on this.

  Paul

bella kotik <bella.kotik@gmail.com> wrote:
  As perhaps some of you know, Vygotsky's family is preparing for publication
a 15 volume collection of his works which will include the archive
documents. Then the really correct new translation would be needed.
Bella Kotik-friedgut