RE: [xmca] Material cognition

From: David H Kirshner <dkirsh who-is-at lsu.edu>
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 21:08:26 PDT

> But you have been a language teacher, so you will understand something
about it!

Well, two months with no training doesn't really count.

But I've assumed issues around foreign language instruction parallel the
phonics / whole-language dispute in reading/writing instruction. My
interpretation, in gross terms, is that phonics advocates are motivated
by behaviorist notions of skill development featuring structured
exercises following a task analysis from phonemic/graphemic through
morphemic/lexical levels eventually to communicative text, whereas the
whole language advocates motivated by an enculturationist metaphor seek
to develop dispositions of language usage through a classroom
microculture built around authentic communicative practices. For
ideological reasons each approach sees itself in opposition to the
other, hoping/expecting that the dispositions or skills they don't
explicitly teach will be picked up en passant by students.

>From what you've written, I'm gleaning that foreign language instruction
often adopts a third strategy: bombard the student with linguistic
input/output in order to rev up the LAD (from an innatist perspective)
or in order to create a critical mass of "grammaticized lexis"
("prefabricated patterns that can be recalled and sorted into meaningful
speech and writing" --Wikipedia) (from an emergentist/chaosic
perspective). What's irksome here, if I'm reading you right, is the
absence of authentic communicative motive. Is that it?

David K.