RE: [xmca] Material cognition

From: David H Kirshner <dkirsh who-is-at lsu.edu>
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 18:03:20 PDT

Martin,
In keeping with his connectionist analysis, Reber's perspective is
nonrepresentational. Here are a couple of illustrative quotations.
David

Consciousness tends to assume epistemic priority largely because it is
so introspectively obvious; unconscious systems are thus left to be
dealt with derivatively. As Kihlstrom (1990) has pointed out,
psychology's very beginnings as a distinct field of scientific
exploration began with the examination of consciousness its defining
characteristic. As I argued in Chapter 2, this perspective has its roots
in our Lockean foundations. (Reber, 1993, p. 87)

When a cognitive scientist constructs a stimulus environment, he or she
may do so on the basis of some set of principles that have the effect of
creating an environment that reflects particular patterns of
co-occurrence and covariation among its elements. But there are no rules
here, just patterns of co-occurrence and covariation. The cognitive
scientist may think that there are rules that characterize these
covariations, and in fact, she or he is certainly entertaining a
particular clutch of these--namely, the ones begun with. (Reber, 1993,
p. 116)

This position [of my critics] emerges from a particular epistemology, a
point of view, for want of a better term, we can call the consciousness
stance. From this perspective, consciousness takes priority, awareness
and self-reflection become the central features of human cognitive
function. The cognitive unconscious is dealt with by exclusion and
implicit processes have to be defended against claims of residual
awareness. The popularity that this consciousness stance has in
contemporary psychology is in no small way due to the very poignant
sense that awareness and sense of self are what defines our very
existence and, therefore, are the features that make us human. George
Miller recently called consciousness "the constitutive problem of
psychology" (Baars, 1986, p. 220). The stance that gives the unconscious
and the implicit priority is one that, one might argue, strips away
something fundamentally human from our characterization of ourselves.
(Reber, 1993, p. 69)