RE: [xmca] Material cognition

From: David H Kirshner <dkirsh who-is-at lsu.edu>
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 10:45:56 PDT

Martin,

Not sure I can speak to the latter part of your question, however, in
recent years tacit knowledge--and more spectacularly, tacit
learning--has made considerable headway in mainstream psychology within
the "implicit learning" paradigm. In the first study in this paradigm
Arthur Reber (1967) exposed subjects to multiple instances of apparently
random stimuli, that actually were generated by a complex mathematical
algorithm. He demonstrated that subjects are able to exploit
regularities in the task domain, without awareness that they had learned
anything.

His work in this genre languished for almost two decades before it was
picked up as an important window into cognitive functioning (see Stadler
& Frensch, 1997, for a review). In my opinion, this hiatus reflects the
grounding of mainstream cognitive science in dualist framings that
assume intellectual skills are rooted in conscious representations.
Toward the mid-1980s, as cognitive science's underlying assumptions were
becoming more subject to critique, the significance of Reber's findings
could be better appreciated. (Reber's, 1993, own summation of this genre
interprets implicit learning in terms of connectionist architectures
that resist many classical assumptions of cognitive science.)

What is interesting is the continuing fetishizing that goes on around
the question of just how tacit is this learning (e.g., Berry, 1997).
There has been momentous energy invested in showing at least a hint of
conscious recognition of some underlying structure (lest we become too
far removed from the authority of consciousness).

David

        Berry, D.C. (Ed.) (1997). How implicit is implicit learning?.
Oxford: Oxford University Press.
        Mathews, R. C. (in press). Implicit learning: Attacking the
authoritarian view of mind. Contemporary Psychology.
        Reber, A. S. (1967). Implicit learning of artificial grammars.
Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior, 6, 855-863.
        Reber, A. S. (1993). Implicit learning and tacit knowledge: An
essay on the cognitive unconscious (Oxford Psychology Series No. 19).
Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press; New York: Clarendon Press.
        Stadler, M. A., & Frensch, P. A. (Eds.) (1997). Handbook of
implicit learning. Thousands Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.