Re: [xmca] epigenesis

From: deborah downing-wilson <ddowningw who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Oct 27 2007 - 14:25:22 PDT

Marc Schuckit at UCSD studies the mechanisms of inherited alcohol
dependence, collecting DNA and extensive lifestyle information on three
generations - Several decades of work. Fascinating stuff.

psychiatry.ucsd.edu/faculty/m*schuckit*.html
<http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/U/urban_metaculture.html>

http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/U/urban_metaculture.html

Deb

On 10/27/07, Cathrene Connery <cconnery@ithaca.edu> wrote:

> Very interesting, Martin. Aside from PTSD, do you know of other
> conditions that might be inherited? What about alcoholism, bulimia,
> allergies, etc? This is an intriguing dialectic between biology and
> environment.
> Cathrene
>
> Martin Packer wrote:
> > Paul,
> >
> > The PBS documentary includes discussion of a retrospective analysis of
> data
> > over at least 3 generations in a relatively isolated Scandanavian
> community:
> > in particular, records of births and deaths (with cause of death) and
> annual
> > harvest yields. The focus of the documentary was not merely on the
> > epigenetic pathways of individual development (e.g. that genetically
> > identical twins diverge in their patterns of gene expression over the
> > years), which is a notion that's been around for a while, but on
> mechanisms
> > of *inheritance* of epigenetic pathways. So post-traumatic stress in one
> > generation may well be *inherited* by children and even grand-children.
> > my knowledge this is a new idea, and one for which the mechanisms are
> now
> > being worked out (methylation of the DNA, I think).
> >
> > Martin
> >

> > On 10/26/07 1:49 PM, "Paul Dillon" <phd_crit_think@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >> I'm looking forward to learning mmore about the research in that field
> by
> >> definition it would seem to require a study that tracked three or more
> >> generations of families at both that genetic and socio-cultural levels
> which
> >> is 90 years for humans populations. That's long after I'll be
> following
> >> all of this. :)
> >>
> >> Paul
> >>

> >> Bruce Robinson <bruce@brucerob.eu> wrote:

> molecular
> >>>
> >> I was pleasantly surprised to hear human genome mapper (and would be
> >> privatiser) Craig Venter dissociate himself from crude genetic
> >> determinism in an interview he gave to the BBC Today programme. He came
> >> out against the one to one 'a gene for...' idea, talked about the
> social
> >> environment of development interacting with genetic tendencies and
> being
> >> more important in a whole range of behaviour, as well as, in a comment
> >> on the Watson controversy, describing race as a social construct with
> no
> >> scientific basis. So there clearly are exceptions. But I do accept that
> >> genetic determinism is pervasive and think Jay is right to point to the
> >> resulting fatalism about social inequality as a cause, perhaps less as
> >> an excuse for people to do nothing and more as a justification of why
> >> things are the way they are in the first place. This is not new - Marx
> [...]

Deborah Downing Wilson
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
University of California San Diego