Re: [xmca] epigenesis

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Sat Oct 27 2007 - 11:31:38 PDT

Paul,

The PBS documentary includes discussion of a retrospective analysis of data
over at least 3 generations in a relatively isolated Scandanavian community:
in particular, records of births and deaths (with cause of death) and annual
harvest yields. The focus of the documentary was not merely on the
epigenetic pathways of individual development (e.g. that genetically
identical twins diverge in their patterns of gene expression over the
years), which is a notion that's been around for a while, but on mechanisms
of *inheritance* of epigenetic pathways. So post-traumatic stress in one
generation may well be *inherited* by children and even grand-children. To
my knowledge this is a new idea, and one for which the mechanisms are now
being worked out (methylation of the DNA, I think).

Martin