Re: [xmca] Fires in San Diego County

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Oct 27 2007 - 08:57:04 PDT

Yes, Andy. A lot of attention is being given to this issue. The way the
fires burned was especially capricious because of
wind conditions. In many clustered communities, one out of 8 houses was left
standing, in another, 7 out of 8. Always the
question of "why me" or "why not me." The need for making meaning of the
meaningless is very strong, even essential,
how ever it is accomplished.

For the first time in a week we took our usual walk early this morning. Our
neighbors from across the street have a grown
daughter with 7 kids. Her husband, whom we have never met, was walking
outside the house. Their house was enirely
destroyed. They live in a odd-seeming community with like minded friends and
relatives, one of whom has 14 children (!!).
ALL of the houses in the apparently kin-based neighborhood in a quasi-rural
area were burned out. He told us that his
family was the lucky one. They had insurance, so they will have a place to
live (other than across the street in the grand parents'
home).

Lots more interesting issues arise in these very sad circumstances including
how it came to be that people lived in places
which were so vulnerable to fire, why were some of those fire set by
arson's, the exclusion of illegal immigrants from shelters,
etc.

Difficult to discuss as a professional, although as a citizen I have my
opinions, lead my good life, and share in the responsibility
for what happens around me.

mike