Re: [xmca] epigenesis

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 10:49:57 PDT

Bruce,

  I almost watched that program on BBC given the ongoing thread. Wasn't it on the BBC version of "HardTalk" ?

  It's heartening to hear that Venter took that stand which but it only makes me more aware of the need for continuing outspoken criticism genetic determinism.

  Epigenticism isn't a determinism and it dissolves the nature-nuture duality. I'm looking forward to learning mmore about the research in that field by definition it would seem to require a study that tracked three or more generations of families at both that genetic and socio-cultural levels which is 90 years for humans populations. That's long after I'll be following all of this. :)

  Paul

Bruce Robinson <bruce@brucerob.eu> wrote:

Paul Dillon wrote:
> Jay,
>
> Any possible answer your question " . . . why is the model of gene-determinism so appealing, almost a religion today, both among molecular biologists and the lay public? Why has it been so easy for the media to spread this gospel?"
I was pleasantly surprised to hear human genome mapper (and would be
privatiser) Craig Venter dissociate himself from crude genetic
determinism in an interview he gave to the BBC Today programme. He came
out against the one to one 'a gene for...' idea, talked about the social
environment of development interacting with genetic tendencies and being
more important in a whole range of behaviour, as well as, in a comment
on the Watson controversy, describing race as a social construct with no
scientific basis. So there clearly are exceptions. But I do accept that
genetic determinism is pervasive and think Jay is right to point to the
resulting fatalism about social inequality as a cause, perhaps less as
an excuse for people to do nothing and more as a justification of why
things are the way they are in the first place. This is not new - Marx
pointed to Darwin's drawing on Malthus and his picture of nature
reflecting the model of competitive capitalism.

Bruce R