Re: [xmca] Disgrace: How a giant of science was brought low

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Oct 21 2007 - 04:01:22 PDT

E.

  That's easy. Think about Edward "Star Wars" Teller or Milton "Dictatorship is Democracy" Friedman.. The terms "fool" or "idiot" refer to their humanity, not their ability to factor equations and treat existence abstractly. Their worthiness of these terms even greater than the paradigmatic village fellow simply because their vanity makes them easy pawns of those who benefit from such deformations. As such, calling such folk "fools" or "idiots" is actually rather compassionate, almost an act of forgiveness.

  Paul

"E. Knutsson" <eikn6681@student.su.se> wrote:
  How can a "giant of science", who holds a Nobel Prize for work in genetics,
playing a crucial role in the discovery of the molecular structure of DNA, be
considered a "fool" or an "idiot"?

Eirik.