Re: [xmca] belatedly on Wells' article

From: Jay Lemke <jaylemke who-is-at umich.edu>
Date: Tue Oct 16 2007 - 18:16:44 PDT

An interesting point, certainly, that we _do_ reify these things, in
many ways, and it is through those reifications, and not as
abstractions, that rules, norms, divisions of labor, etc. have their
material mediations for us.

We write down laws, we mouth aphorisms, we have indeed got road
signs, and markers of class divisions and gender divisions, and media
advertising and photos to show which toys go with boys and which with
girls, etc. etc.

How then do these mediations differ from those at the top center of
the triangle? all mediations are surely both material and semiotic,
but those that run vertically are frequently repeated, they become
typical of communities, and not just ad hoc improvisations of a
moment. As such, their dynamics, the timescales on which they change
(and don't change), are quite different. In Latour's terms, their
networks are "longer", or materially speaking, there is a lot more
"mass" at stake, more people, more tool-making engines, more fat and
thin wallets, more prisons and uniforms and weapons. More badges of
rank, more paper flowing through chains of command, more social
geography of big and small houses built near and far to one another,
with more or less garbage in their streets.

Those social realities down at the bottom represent a lot more "weight".

What do you think?

JAY.