Re: [xmca] On Mediation

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Mon Oct 08 2007 - 18:32:55 PDT

You are welcome Andy. I am off in 15 minutes, speaking at a
Francophone conference in Quebec. Cheers, Michael

On 8-Oct-07, at 4:39 PM, Andy Blunden wrote:

I am avidly reading your paper Michael.
I am currently polishing off a paper for the Hegelian market entitled
"The Missing Mediation in Pragmatic Interpretations of Hegel".
Obviously I do *not* mean CHAT when I talk about mediation being
"missing", but specifically Fukuyama, RW Williams and critical
theorists like Habermas and Honneth, the latter basing themselves on
Mead and Piaget and stalwartly refusing to acknowledge the existence
of Vygotsky and co., something which actually really pisses me off!
So for me the timing is perfect! Thank you!
Andy
At 06:06 AM 8/10/2007 -0700, you wrote:
> Dear All,
> here is a copy of the proofs of the paper Mike is referring to and
> which should be in the next issue of THEORY & PSYCHOLOGY, according
> to the page numbers.
>
> This paper is an interrogation of the concept MEDIATION, which I
> began to work on because of the apparent different ways in which
> members (of our community) were using the term. I hold it with
> Dorothy Smith and Pierre Bourdieu and Klaus Holzkamp: if we do not
> interrogate our concepts, we are simply subject to ideology.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael
>

> On 7-Oct-07, at 10:51 AM, Mike Cole wrote:
>
> Michael Roth has a paper on mediation that is appearing or has
> appeared in
> Theory and Psychology that is
> probably useful to the discussion of Leontiev's ideas, language as a
> form of
> mediation vis a vis tools, and other
> current issues.
>
> Is it possible to post the paper, Michael? We could put it on the xmca
> papers for discussion so that folks not
> interested would not get their mail clogged.
> mike

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435,
mobile 0409 358 651