Re: [xmca] A Game of Yut

From: Gordon Wells <gwells who-is-at ucsc.edu>
Date: Sat Oct 06 2007 - 17:52:36 PDT

Actually, I agree with you, David, and made just
such an analysis more than twenty years ago, in
an article I published with Martin Montgomery, if
I remember correctly. But, acknowledging the
relationship between the F move and the preceding
I-R exchange, it's analytically simpler to treat
it as the third move in a three-part exchange, as
proposed by Margaret Berry in her chapter in
Coulthard & Montgomery (1981).

But as you argue below
a) The teacher¡¯s turns almost always
consist of THREE moves rather than one. One is a
REACTING move (Cha and Mo). One is an COMMENTING
move (We throw the sticks, then). One is a
QUERYING move (What¡¯s this?) b) The
¡°stitch¡± between one exchange and the next
occurs in the MIDDLE of the teacher¡¯s turn, not
the end. (after Mo and before Then).

the third act in the F move is often the
initiation of a bound exchange, in which the
teacher solicits further information of some
kind. Together, the two (or more) exchanges make
up a sequence.

Gordon

> Last week was Chuseok, the rice harvest
>festival, here in Korea. It¡¯s a time when
>families play Yut, a traditional game which is a
>little like parchesi played with divination
>sticks.
>
> About two weeks ago, one of my grads gathered
>this data. Like a lot of data transcribed from
>the teacher¡¯s point of view, it is written up
>as a kind of dialogue between one teacher called
>T and a monster that has forty bodies, but only
>two ears and one mouth, which appears as "S".
>Here's some fresh data, then:
>
> T: Children, look at this.[C] This is Yut. [S] OK? What's this?[Q]
> S: Yut!
> T: Yut.
>
> Two participants, three turns, six utterances
>(if we define the utterance as a real or
>potential change of speaker). Three of the
>utterances are grammatical sentences: those
>marked C for command (imperative), S for
>sentence (indicative declarative), and Q
>(indicative interrogative). Three utterances are
>not (which in my experience is pretty normal for
>classroom discourse).
>
> But how to explain the fact that we consider
>this to be a unit? I guess the usual explanation
>(Mehan, Sinclair and Coulthard, Nassaji and
>Wells) is that it IS a unit of triadic dialogue;
>it is one exchange of IRE (or IRF) and as such
>it consists of one initiate turn, one response
>turn, and one feedback/follow up/evaluate turn.
>
> This is a little hard to maintain when we look at the rest of the data.
>
> T: Cha, yucheul deonchyeosseyo (Now, we throw
>the divination sticks). What is this?
> S: Mo! ( A combination of four sticks)
> T: Mo! Then, what's this?
>
> As you can see, things are not so simple. We
>can¡¯t simply map Sinclair and Coulthard¡¯s
>moves onto physical turns on a one to one basis.
>There are two reasons we can¡¯t:
>
> a) The teacher¡¯s turns almost always
>consist of THREE moves rather than one. One is a
>REACTING move (Cha and Mo). One is an COMMENTING
>move (We throw the sticks, then). One is a
>QUERYING move (What¡¯s this?)
> b) The ¡°stitch¡± between one exchange
>and the next occurs in the MIDDLE of the
>teacher¡¯s turn, not the end. (after Mo and
>before Then).
>
> Why are the teacher¡¯s turns so very complex?
>And why don¡¯t the structural boundaries of the
>exchanges correspond to the physical boundaries
>(the changes in speaker)?
>
> One of Mehan¡¯s brilliant insights was to show
>that the traditional I-R-E exchange is not a
>modular unit. Exchanges do NOT go in any order.
>They are carefully ordered.
>
> But they are NOT ordered beforehand, at the
>beginning of the lesson. Instead, they are
>ordered in a post hoc fashion. The teacher takes
>a step, checks to see that the kids are
>following, and then takes the next one.
>
> Some of this checking is visual (the teacher
>checks eye contact and facial expression instead
>of asking a question), and that¡¯s why the
>teacher¡¯s moves look so complex. That three
> [...]

Gordon Wells
Department of Education
University of California, Santa Cruz		http://people.ucsc.edu/~gwells