RE: [xmca] Wells article

From: Alexander Surmava <monada who-is-at netvox.ru>
Date: Fri Oct 05 2007 - 23:35:29 PDT

Hi, Andy.

Surely speculating on the problem of "object oriented activity" we have to
recognize that this activity is not something mechanical, but has and
realize its goal (object). But the main point for Leont'ev as well for Marx
and Il'enkov is that the very possibility to have goals have to be precede
by the act of interaction with real material object. The very term "object
oriented activity" sounds in Russian as "predmetnaya deyatel'nost'" in which
the term "predmet" is just an opposition to "subject". It hasn't meaning
"goal" at all. But focusing on this problem you nick it.

Just in this point Leont'ev meets a principal theoretical difficulty. Thus
he starts from presupposition that subject and object exist as such before
their meeting, so he echoed after Ivan Pavlov and literally repeats its
lamentation: "The first meeting of subject and object is an extraordinary
act". Indeed it is, if we are starting from magically emerged from nowhere
opposition of subject and object.

The thing is that the right to make this distinction can be given to us only
by real (not magical or only imaginary) spontaneous act of mutual
positioning of active subject and passive object in special organic type of
interaction. The previous two natural stages or types of interaction -
mechanical and chemical - are basically symmetrical. Only life with its
organic type of active interaction gives us basically asymmetric opposition
of subject and object. I don't suffer from megalomania to pretend to be the
first who mentioned it, because the text with clear explanation of this idea
was the first Marxist text the most of us have ever read. It was the first
these on Feuerbach. Surely you know it even by heart, but nevertheless I
repeat it.

"The main defect of all hitherto-existing materialism - that of Feuerbach
included - is that the Object [der Gegenstand], actuality, sensuousness, are
conceived only in the form of the object [Objekts], or of contemplation
[Anschauung], but not as human sensuous activity, practice [Praxis], not
subjectively. Hence it happened that the active side, in opposition to
materialism, was developed by idealism - but only abstractly, since, of
course, idealism does not know real, sensuous activity as such".

Surely it is not so easy to understand Marx' thought because it contains his
basic philosophical idea, the essence of his materialistic as well as
dialectic philosophy in very thick concentrate. That's why I (after
Il'enkov) insist that the old bourgeois tails that Marxist philosophy 1.
Doesn't exist as something different from Hegelian idealistic one and 2.
That it deals only with social groups without personality and subjectness
and has nothing to say about the human as real subject, subjectivity and
personality is totally false. It is just a bourgeois slander trying to hide
from working people the obvious fact that it is the very bourgeoisie who
steals from the working people its chance to be a creative and universally
developed personality in exchange for the miserable chance to become a
partly developed appendage of dead mechanical and impersonal Moloch of
capitalist system of production, to become a "professional cretin".

The core idea of Marxism is the restoration of human personality and
subjectness at the expense of capital who usurped those human abilities
along with their material property.

So I think that Marx do has to say "something" substantial about the
subject.

Both Vygotsky and Leont'ev began their theoretic reflection from this
starting point, and both of them failed to realize it in their theories.
Vygotsky who knowingly tried to realize the Marxist method made a
regrettable step back from dialectic and materialism applying the semiotic
to solve the psychophysical problem, as if a wooden Stimulus-Reactive
marionette can magically invent a magic sign to acquire a freedom from the
Puppeteer. Leont'ev make a huge step forward from his teacher putting his
eye on sensual "external" activity as a basis of human psyche and
consciousness, but the very activity he realized as a mediating chain
between Stimulus and Reaction and didn't guess that Stimulus-Reactive
"subject" which magically meets with it's "object" is just a new redaction
of old Cartesian magic tale about dead mechanism which needs in old
religious God or if nothing else a Magician to be supplied with the Soul.
Only Il'enkov basing on Spinosa's ideas and Marx's materialistic dialectic
put forward the consistent resolution of psychophysical problem so the first
two chapters of his Dialectical logic
http://www.marxists.org/archive/ilyenkov/works/essays/index.htm marked the
revolution in theoretic psychology which moved it finally from magic to real
science.

Receiving such a great theoretic heritage we have to master, to save and to
develop it. Otherwise our descendants will have right to despise us for our
blindness and irresponsibility.

Cheers,

Sasha