Re: [xmca] Wells article

From: <ERIC.RAMBERG who-is-at spps.org>
Date: Fri Oct 05 2007 - 09:52:03 PDT

Gordon:

My apologies. I did indeed mean "rid the mice" as the object.

Thank you for the clarification.

eric

                      Gordon Wells
                      <gwells@ucsc.edu To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
> cc:
                      Sent by: Subject: Re: [xmca] Wells article
                      xmca-bounces@web
                      er.ucsd.edu

                      10/05/2007 11:27
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to "eXtended
                      Mind, Culture,
                      Activity"

Eric,

I agree with what I take to be your argument. But
in your last paragraph I am confused when you
write that the expert " views "rid the mice" as
the subject." Surely you and the expert are both
subjects and a plan to "rid the mice" is the
object./goal.

Gordon

> [...]

>respond

>"eXtended

> Mind,
>Culture,

>Activity"

>Eric,
>
> Before entering into the argument strictly speaking, I would like you
>look at some evidence (see attachment).
>
> I don't agree that the "ideal" exists in the discussion unless that
>discussion has an identifiable
>[object/frame-of-reference/verifiabilty-space/etc?] that exists
>independently of the ideal that exists in the discussion and against which
>any given instantiation of the ideal as developed in the discussion can be
>compared. Say the shape of a knife. Form as ideal - cleaver or scalpel?
>
> Also, internalized discussions in which imagined communities
participate,
>"Walter Mitty" comes to mind, must clearly enter in the discussion space
in
>which shadows of ideals sport and play.
>
> I think the evidence I' ve attached provides an arguable demonstration
of
>how the ideal in discussion can lead one far from the ideal that might
>exist independently of that discussion.
>
> Paul
>

>ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org wrote:
>
>Paul:
>
>That is indeed a good question pertaining to the "ideal". If the ideal
>nose is invisioned then what is the product end result of the operation?
>There is the activity of the "noe job" and then there is the operation of
>changing the nose. The ideal is the discussion of what the new nose
>should look like and then there is the material end of a new nose. Just
>positing in fun : )
>
>eric
>

>To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"
>cc:
>bcc:
>Subject: Re: [xmca] Wells article
>Paul Dillon
>
>Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
>10/02/2007 03:25 PM MST
>Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" size=-1>

>before or after the nose job?
>
>ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org wrote:
>Paul;
>
>And here I had always invisioned you as Robert Zimmerman : )
>

>Paul Dillon
>

>yahoo.com> cc:
>Sent by: Subject: Re: [xmca] Wells article
>xmca-bounces@web
>er.ucsd.edu
>

>10/02/2007 02:29
>PM
>Please respond
>to "eXtended
>Mind, Culture,
>Activity"
>

>Sure and I'm Alexander the Grape.
>

>Kevin Rocap wrote:
>That was....
>
>A Gordon Knot?
>
>;-)
>
>Paul Dillon wrote:
>>

>> It just ocurred to me that listserv threads are something akin to
Andean
.
>.
>>
>> Maybe Gordon could explain how what he's proposing relates to Habermas'
>theory of communicative action, a fourth level to the Weberian continuum,
>beyond strategic action, communicative action, with its own ideal state,
>oriented to reaching understanding. As far as I can tell, this wheel might
>already have been employed in building various kinds of vehicles. So maybe
>some clarification would be useful.
>>
>> Paul. Dillon
>>
>> "Worthen, Helena Harlow" wrote:
>> Andy --
>>
>> Are you saying you don't see a useful difference between language being
>> used to coordinate actions directed toward a shared goal, and language
>> being used to create something that is not the shared goal of the
>> participants, but something different? I think this is a useful
>> distinction, because the latter would give us a name for the process we
>> would expect to see if we could zoom in on and observe in slow motion
>> (maybe in a transcript) the way words get turned, replaced, defined and
>> re-defined in the process of negotiating an agree-upon text.
>>
>> Helena Worthen, Clinical Associate Professor
>> Labor Education Program, Institute of Labor & Industrial Relations
>> University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
>> 504 E. Armory, Room 227
>> Champaign, IL 61821
>> Phone: 217-244-4095