Re: [xmca] Some comments on Gordon's article

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Thu Oct 04 2007 - 16:33:03 PDT

:) It's hard for me, Gordon, as my own interests militate against me
cutting things up into pieces like this, though I accept that in the
relevant professions this is what you have to do.

I can't see a difference in principle between constructing a plastic sign
which says "Please form a queue" and saying to a group of people "Please
form a queue". Of course I too can see that the first instance is not
normally described as "discoursing", because a plastic sign is used rather
than transient pressure waves, but I don't really see a difference in
principle. I do see a couple of differences in the relationship between the
producers and receivers of the respective signs though. The plastic
signboard is directed at another group of people rendered as objects,
whereas the verbal signs are directed at fellow individuals constituting a
subject. This I can see as a difference in principle.

So I'm trying to get at exactly what you see as the essential difference
here. Is it whether the exchange of signs takes place between subject and
object as opposed to individuals in a subject, or is it whether the sign is
made of pressure waves or plastic, or is it whether or not the maker of the
signs is expecting a response/argument about their statement? What if the
message "Please form a queue" was an email message? Is this "discoursing"?
If took it in turns to stand at the door and say over and over again in a
loud voice: "Please form a queue," would this be "discoursing"? What if a
customer suggests that the shop hands out tickets and engages the
salesperson in a discussion about that? I guess that could generate some
discoursing? What if the plastic sign was graffiti-ed by a customer so that
it said "Please serve the queue" would that then be discourse? :)

Andy

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435,
mobile 0409 358 651