RE: [xmca] Wells article

From: Peter Moxhay <moxhap who-is-at portlandschools.org>
Date: Thu Oct 04 2007 - 10:08:19 PDT

Hi, everyone:

I'm hung up on just one point in trying to read the Wells article about the relation between discourse and activity.

What is the relation between "discourse" as used here and (the Russian word) "obshchenie," usually translated as either "social interaction" or "communication"?

And if these are close -- if they both basically mean speech communication -- then why does the article not reference any Russian works specifically on the relation between activity and "obshchenie"? I especially have in mind A. A. Leontiev's major book, "Psikhologiya obshcheniya (The psychology of communication)." available online (e.g. Chapter 3) at:

http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Paper/JuneJuly05/AAL_speech%20and%20comm.pdf

Thanks,

Peter
*** Please Note: ***
This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it was addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Portland Public School Department.