Re: [xmca] Some comments on Gordon's article

From: ruqaiya hasan <Ruqaiya.Hasan who-is-at ling.mq.edu.au>
Date: Mon Oct 01 2007 - 20:25:25 PDT

first, thanks again to Elinami and Gordon for making Gordon's paper
accessible to me. Having read it I realize how much I would have missed
without thisa kindness.

My overall reaction is 'bravo! here is a constructive and valuable effort to
benefit from the combined thinking of Leontiev, Vygotsky, Bakhtin and
Halliday' -- the
kind of project I like a lot -- this is what is needed for pushing the
borders of human and social sciences. The paper is rich and there is so
much to say that I don't really know where to begin. So I too will begin
with a word on 'discoursing'. The neologism did not remind me of Vygotsky
because 'thinking' and 'speaking' are so often used as 'active' noun, but of
Peter, a colleague in the late 1960's working on Halliday's Language in
Education project at University College London: he coined the word
'languageing'. Both with Gordon and with Peter Doughty, as I interpret it,
the impetus is to move away from language/ dicourse as 'object' to language
/ discourse as 'action'.

I suppose one is forced to take this step mainly because there has been such
a long established tradition of making a strong classification between
process and product. The distinction does need to be made, but I doubt if
its terribly wise to foget the one in analysing the other.

A word about 'genre'. I would have said that following Halliday's usage,
most of us in SFL have used 'genre' as almost equivalent to 'register', or
'text type' if that term is preferred. The way I look at it is this: there
are two critical attributes of text/discourse: texture (continuity) and
structure (staged sequencing of what Gordon called sub-action in some
action). Genre theory as it has developed in the analysis of activities
refers only to the structure aspect of the text, which is a realization of
some activity. by contrast, Bakhtin who extended the term 'genre' to
include 'speech genre' was concerned with texture as well though the term he
used was 'style'.

oh by the way, can I plead 'not guilty' of claiming any universality for the
generic structure potential (GSP) of shopping activity (cf foot note 1 p
165).
Hasan 1985 p 99 explicitly states "specific contextual configurations
themselves derive their significance ultimately from their relation to the
culture to which they belong." I would have to forget my past completely to
claim that either the context for activities or the structure of activities
can be universal. The point about bringing in context is that from the very
first paper I wrote about GSP (Hasan 1978) I have tried to show that in
speech genres as opposed to in verbal art (literature) the generic structure
realized by a text is activated by the features of the context that
underlies the activity in the sense that the activity occurs in context and
gives it the identity as that specific context. This is part of my argument
for claiming co-genetic relationship between language and society, which in
my reading of Vygotseky, is consistent with the implications of his theory
of the priority of the intermental, and the role of semiosis in the shaping
of the mental functions.

I would not use 'ancillary' and 'constitutive' as properties suitable for
the classification of genre types. So for me there is no such thing as a
'constitutive/ancillary genre'. In SFL these terms were used and are still
used to refer to mode of discourse; however, I have departed from this usage
(Hasan 1999 Speaking with Reference to Context). I consider 'ancillary' and
'constitutive' as properties of verbal 'action'. This in turn needs
clarification. All semiotic activities are fundamentally interactive (recall
Vygotsky's rejection of Piaget's account of child language development and
his own account in Thinking and Speaking which is entirely consistent with
the SFL approach). At the highest level of abstraction the fundmental
components underlying a semiotic activity are human Action, Relation and
Contact -- the nature of the activity is known by the values of these three
vectors which constitute the activity's context. This I would claim is a
universal principle. So action is only one component relevant to the
activity. There is some overlap between the SFL view and the one being
suggested by Gordon's Figure 4 which shows 'subject-subject' in my terms
'Relation' between them since this is what matters to the structuring of the
semiotic act, and mediational means, in my terms part of contact both
material mode of contact eg face to face, telephoning etc and semiotic
contact dialogue, monologue, the one thing I do not find is action unless it
is subsumed under 'rules of games' and 'division of labour'. It is the
total value of 'doing what', 'who is doing' and 'how the doing is done' that
offers the explanation of the generic shape of the discourse.

So in one sense discoursing is not the activity: discoursing is the action
ie only part of the activity, the activity details also relevant are who and
how. So this is where the curly question comes in: so is languaging a mode
of action a means of mediation) or is it the whole of the action. My way out
has been to say that semiotic action is never constitutes its own point --
the point of the semiotic action is language external; we language to live:
in other words by its nature language is exocentric, and calls for an
exotropic theory. Everything in language supports this view; the only thing
internal to language as a semiotic sustem is what is implied by the nature
of its sign and therefore its relationsdal nature. By the same token, I will
have to maintain that action does not equal activity: we cannot have it both
ways.

The most valuable thing Gordon's paper has done for me is to make it much
clearer how AT differs from register theory of which the postulate of GSP is
an important part but by no means the only important part. The base of the
whole theory is in the social, constext being an instantiation of the social
context repertoire.

Many apologies for such a lengthy comment -- But the paper has a lot to talk
about; this seemed to me the best I could do on the first occasion

Ruqaiya Hasan