Re: [xmca] The Evolution of CHAT

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane <ana who-is-at zmajcenter.org>
Date: Sun Sep 16 2007 - 12:12:22 PDT

It would be interesting and very useful if each bibliographic reference
could get a very short annotation which could be expandable by
individual contributions (of limited size). We could also develop a
network of tags (key words and phrases) that could be attached to each
reference and form a non-linear web -- instead of developing strict
categories?
Ana

Mike Cole wrote:
> Yep--
>
> My suggestion is that we follow multiple paths and coordinate results and
> inform each other of progress.
> A few things are in motion.
> 1. Cathrene is collecting sources sent to her that purport to provide
> relevant historical accounts.
> 2. Cathrene and I are conspiring with a local librarian to get a
> bibliogrpahic program that represents time and
> connections together and we have hopes of a local history grad student and
> history professor interested in
> multi-media representations of history (so that non-linear elements, such as
> andy tossing 2000 into 2007 so we can
> see from two sides at once) are represented.
> 3. Michael Roth has offered a source of quotes and there must be a way to
> feed those data into a structure data base with temporal parameters in it.
> Not sure who will follow up on that.
> 4. The issue is apparently going on the agenda for ISCAR.
>
> What else??
> mike
> On 9/16/07, Emily Duvall <emily@uidaho.edu> wrote:
>
>> I agree Paul, to a point. I don't think citations are as impartial as we
>> might like to think.
>> Citations are important for academic work, but for various reasons that
>> are not necessarily connected to the content. In some schools (maybe all?)
>> how many times ones work has been cited can have an impact on
>> tenure/promotion in which case (I have heard) encouraging folks to cite
>> one's work has become part of the process. This has become a little more
>> interesting given that the current directions for citations are to cite only
>> those that you quote or refer to directly.
>> It doesn't take into consideration what we may recommend to others to read
>> or, for that matter, what we may read ourselves.
>> I think that some form of weighting is important, but should take into
>> consideration what we all believe to be foundational, or perhaps what we may
>> have actually read.
>> That said, I have no solution other than to add in a survey of top ten and
>> check off of items read that could easily load into a data base. More bean
>> counting, for sure, but balancing the weight of jobs and pubs with other
>> criteria.
>> My suggestion re organizing material categorically was more my own bias re
>> how I think about material historically.
>> On the other hand, my meanderings needn't make the process more
>> problematic that it may seem to appear. Perhaps your approach is a better
>> beginning... :-)
>> Any other suggestions out there?
>> ~ Em

>>> ambitious!!