Re: [xmca] Request for Panelist Names on CHAT History

From: Mary van der Riet <vanderriet who-is-at ukzn.ac.za>
Date: Wed Sep 12 2007 - 05:46:43 PDT

dear David
I am a bit unsure about whether a session such as this might be useful.
A number of South Africans tried this at the ISCRAT Amsterdam
conference, and most of the attendees were other South AFricans. So
there is a problem of focussing in on a select group or site which then
becomes isolated from the general discourse at the event.
What I do think is extremely useful is for a historical overview of the
roots of AT to examine how it manifests itself currently, and then what
challenges these different forms of 'practice' of the theory, raise for
the theory.
Is there a way that this can be brought into the broader discussion on
the historical roots presentation that is being discussed?
And would the work in Chile then be able to contribute to this?
I know that there has been some critique of the way in which AT is
applied in contexts where extreme power differentials operate, and also
in contexts which are NOT homogenous, and not resources or well
functioning.
My interest is, do this contexts pose challenges for the way in which
one applies the metatheoretical constructs of CHAT - or does CHAT
encompass all of this anyway
Mary

Mary van der Riet; School of Psychology; University of KwaZulu-Natal
Private Bag X01, Scottsville, 3209

email: vanderriet@ukzn.ac.za
tel: 033 260 6163; fax: 033 2605809

>>> David Preiss <davidpreiss@uc.cl> 09/11/07 16:28 PM >>>
Complementing this email, there are many scholars working on CHAT
related perspectives in Chile. Maybe we could have a panel focused
on Perspectives on Chat originated in the developing world?

David

On Sep 11, 2007, at 9:54 AM, Mary van der Riet wrote:

> I think there are two layers of presentation issues here - the one
> is a discourse on the history of CHAT, the other is different ways
> it has been applied
>
> ito South African scholars - there are about 8 people working
> directly with CHAT, in an applied sense & theoretically - but not
> necessarily an historical overview.
>
> There might be other people more in touch with what is happening in
> the rest of Africa
> Mary
>

> Mary van der Riet; School of Psychology; University of KwaZulu-Natal
> Private Bag X01, Scottsville, 3209
>
> email: vanderriet@ukzn.ac.za
> tel: 033 260 6163; fax: 033 2605809

> That Cole feller also writes a nice pre-history of CHAT in Cultural
> Psychology.
> I'll be interested to see how people tease apart what is CHAT from
> what is
> not. In CP Mike talks about the roots perhaps going back to, I think,
> Herodotus (450 BC) who aimed to understand the wars as cultural
> conflicts.
> Does he count? Do people need to invoke CHAT specifically to be
> included?
> And since I've seen some weird things invoked in the name of activity
> theory, how do you distinguish between a "genuine" CHAT perspective
> and that
> that is not? Is CHAT different from Activity Theory, or other
> perspectives
> grounded in the work of Leont'ev and Vygotsky?
> Some knotty stuff here, and I look forward to seeing how it pans
> out. Peter
>

> Peter Smagorinsky
> The University of Georgia
> Department of Language and Literacy Education
> 125 Aderhold Hall
> Athens, GA 30602-7123
> smago@uga.edu /fax:706-542-4509/phone:706-542-4507/
> http://www.coe.uga.edu/lle/faculty/smagorinsky/index.html

David Preiss, Ph.D.
Subdirector de Extensión y Comunicaciones
Escuela de Psicología
Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
Av Vicuña Mackenna 4860
Macul, Santiago
Chile

Fono: 3544605